Pajeon aka scallion pancake is a must get appetizer for me at Korean restaurant. Unlike the Cong You Bing, the Chinese scallion pancake, which is flakey and crispy throughout, pajeon is slightly crisp on the outside but soft and chewy on the inside. My favorite type of pajeon is haemul panjeon or seafood scallion pancake. It is packed with savory seafood goodness and substantial! Having that with some ban chan feels like a meal in of itself! This is my recreation of the seafood scallion pancakes I get at restaurants using sourdough discard.
No sourdough? Thats fine! Try this replacement: Replace the weight of sourdough starter/discard with equal weight flour and water (or a liquid of choice, like milk) ex. replace 60g sourdough discard with 30g flour and 30g water
Looking for a more veggie forward pancake? Check these out:
- Sourdough Discard Kimchi-Jeon: Kimchi Pancakes
- Sourdough Discard Cong You Bing: Scallion Pancakes
- Sourdough Jian Bing: Taiwanese Scallion Egg Crepe Roll
Sourdough Discard Haemul Pajeon (Seafood Scallion Pancake)
- 50 g sourdough discard
- 40 g water
- 7 g cornstarch
- 7 g rice flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder optional
- pinch pepper
- 2 scallion
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed seafood mussels, squid, shrimp,
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp black vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/8 tsp gochugaru (optional)
- Divide the scallions into half or fourths lengthwise, making thing strips. Cut into 4 inch strips. Set aside.
- Mix sourdough discard, water, cornstarch, rice flour, salt and pepper together. Chop the seafood into 1/2" pieces and mix into the batter. You should have a thin batter that is slightly thinner than a crepe's. If it is too thick, add some more water.
- Heat up a skillet on medium heat and spray with oil. Add the scallions and pour the seafood batter mixture on top. With a spatula, evenly spread the batter. Cook about 3 minutes or when the bottom has browned and the top looks partially cooked (it will look a bit translucent in color). Flip and cook the other side for about 3 minutes.
- Remove from pan, slice and serve with dipping sauce.