I love corn bread. The sweet kind– not that jalapeno cheddar stuff that some places make. I just absolutely love the texture of it. If I have a choice of muffin, I would grab a corn muffin (followed by those fat blueberry muffins with tons of coarse sugar on top). There are just not enough cornbread-esque pastries out there in there world. But before I tackle that world problem, I need to have a go-to base sweet cornbread recipe that is, although perfect by itself, will allow me to add customizations on top of. Here you go world (aka future me).
- 120 g all-purpose flour
- 150 g yellow cornmeal
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 170 g honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 225 g sour cream or buttermilk
- 65 g vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and lightly grease your baking pan and dust with flour.
- Combine together your dry ingredients: flour, cornmeal, salt, baking soda, cornstarch and baking powder.
- Cream together egg, sugar and oil. Mix in milk mixture.
- Fold dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and pour into your baking pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes till the top is golden and lightly toasted or when a toothpick or knife inserted to the center of the loaf comes out clean.