I know, I know, saying “chai tea” is essentially saying “tea tea” BUT here in the states, when we think chai we refer to a specific type of spiced tea. Chai is a descriptor. And therefore, these fragrant spiced tea financiers are named so.
Financiers are such a simple but elegant cake. They are made with almond flour giving the cakes a light soft interior with a delicate crisp exterior. Financiers are buttery and nutty and the combinations of texture makes then truly addicting! This recipe takes financiers to the next level by spicing it up and adding some more layers of smell and flavors with tea. This recipe leverages chai but any tea that is ground up would work as well.
Looking for more beverage inspired recipes?
Chai Tea Financiers
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 125 g cane sugar
- 1 chai tea bag or any tea of choice
- 140 g egg whites
- 30 g honey
- 60 g all purpose flour
- 100 g almond flour
- Brown butter in a sauce pan. Once it has browned, cut your tea bag and pour the tea into the butter to steep. Set aside and let it cool completely.
- Mix together egg whites, sugar, and honey. Then, add in almond flour and all purpose flour.
- Slowly add melted butter into the batter and mix until everything is evenly combined.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Pour the batter into your baking dish or mold about 2/3 full and top.
- Bake the financiers for 10-15 minutes or until it is golden brown around the edges
- Let cool and enjoy!