I bought some organic bananas two weeks ago and completely forgot about them in the pantry! Next thing you know, they were ultra ripe and brown. A gift in disguise since that makes it purrrfect for banana bread.
This Black Sesame Banana Bread is a nutty twist on the classic banana bread. It is inspired by the banana breads I had on The Road to Hana in Maui. Ripe organic bananas are crushed and creamed together with grounded toasted black sesame seeds, butter, and sugar to create a soft, ultra-moist banana bread with tons of fruity banana flavor and toasty and nutty black sesame seeds flavor.
Have you tried the recipe? Let me know what you think on Instagram: @craving_nomz!
Looking for more classics with a twist?
- Espresso Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chewy Black Sesame Sugar Cookies
- Adzuki Red Bean Rugelach
- Ginger Scallion Paratha
- Toasted Milk Mantou (Steamed Buns)
Black Sesame Banana Bread
- 50 g butter
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 50 g brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp almond extract or vanilla, optional
- 2 very ripe bananas*
- 30 g greek yogurt or sour cream
- 15 g black sesame powder
- 100 g all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- black sesame seeds
- slice bananas optional
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream together butter and sugars. Add in egg and beat until light and fluffy. Roughly mash in the bananas with a fork and then mix in almond extract, greek yogurt or sour cream, and black sesame powder.
- Combine together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Fold it into the wet mixture until evenly combined.
- Pour mixture into a small baking pan and top with black sesame seeds and sliced bananas. Bake for about 45 minutes or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
** if you prefer denser banana bread, reduce to 1/4 or 1/2 tsp of baking powder.