This is my version of the traditional Chinese almond cookies. It is crumblier, subtly sweet, milkier and coarser in texture due to the higher percentage of almond flour.
Almond cookies, I’m almost positive, are my mom’s favorite cookies. When I was younger, my parents would buy a large plastic container of almond cookies that are stacked on top of each other in three layers. It’s either tall, clear and circular or square with thinner plastic. I believe this is the brand they use to buy. The cookies were crisp and crumbly, a little eggy and sweet. They never appealed to me when I was younger (and neither did those Costco/Sams Club size tins of Royal Dansk butter cookies they also buy) but I would frequently buy them for my mom because I know how much she enjoys them.
I no longer live at home, but I am looking forward to when traveling is safe again so I can fly and visit family and make these for her and see what she thinks!
Looking for more cookie recipes? Give these a try!
- Chewy Black Sesame Sugar Cookies
- Kinako Black Sesame Shortbread Cookies
- Cream Cheese Cookies
- Earl Grey Tea Biscuits
- 160 g butter
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 25 g egg ~ 1/2 egg. Use the remainder for egg wash
- 100 g all purpose flour
- 100 g almond flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- raw almonds for topping
- 25 g egg ~ 1/2 egg
- 1 tsp water
- In one bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and mix until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, mix together all purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt. Mix into the butter mixture until a thick batter forms.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. Make the egg wash by beating together the remainder of the egg with water. Set aside.
- Using a spoon, scoop some batter into the palm of your hands and roll into circles. Place it on the baking mat and lightly flatten. Repeat with the rest of the batter. Brush the cookie dough with egg wash and top with whole raw almonds or crushed almonds.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the top is cracked and golden.