Last week, I dined at Thomas Keller’s Ad Hoc. The first course was a simple arugula and cabbage salad. The salad has some cucumbers, watermelon radish and… yellow pickled onions! I love the brightness and pop of color the onions added to the salad so that evening when I got home, I made my version.
To get that bright yellow color, I added turmeric, for the sweetness, I used honey, and for the tang I used a combination of apple cider vinegar and white vinegar. The pickles at Ad Hoc didn’t have any heat, but I love spicy food, so I added a healthy dose of red pepper flakes. These go so well in salads, or paired with heavier dishes like burgers or brats where a touch of acidity is very much welcome.
Sweet & Spicy Turmeric Pickled Onions
- 8oz mason jar
- 1/2 medium white or yellow onion
- 75 g water
- 35 g apple cider vinegar
- 35 g white vinegar
- 16 g honey or 18g sugar
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp cracked black pepper
- Smash 2 cloves of garlic and slice onion into thin strips. Tightly pack them into mason jar, dispersing the garlic clove between the onions.
- In a sauce pan, combine all the ingredients for the brine and bring to a boil. Pour the hot brine into the mason jar with the onions. Make sure the brine cover the top of the onions. Using a spoon, press the onion down into the liquid. Cover and let cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, transfer the onion to the fridge to chill overnight. It is ready to use the next day and will keep for a few weeks. Enjoy!