When I was visiting my mother-in-law for Thanksgiving, she made me steamed buns with Chinese sausage. I thought it was a fun play on the hot dog buns that can be found in Chinese bakeries and I was surprised at how tasty the combo is given its simplicity!
Here is a remake! This steamed bun recipe is a milk-based and yeasted. I love how fluffy and peel-able it came out 🥰. If you want to make a sourdough version, you can reference this recipe for the sourdough bun: Sourdough Basic Steamed Buns (Mantou).
For more steamed bun recipes, check out these posts:
- Toasted Milk Mantou (Steamed Buns)
- Black Sesame Bao & Mantou (Steamed Bun)
- Sourdough Espresso Mantou (Steamed Bun)
- Sourdough Basic Steamed Buns (Mantou)
Chinese Sausage Steamed Bun
- bamboo steamer / steam basket
- 150 g milk or water
- 30 g sugar
- 3/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 15 g neutral oil
- 250 g all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 Chinese Sausages cut in half
- Heat up water or milk in a microwave for 30s. It should be hot but not unbearable to the touch. Dissolve sugar and oil and sprinkle yeast on top. Let rest for 5 minutes or until foamy.
- Combine together flour and baking powder. Mix flour mixture into the yeast mixture and knead until a smooth and elastic dough forms. Let rest for 1 hour.
- Prepare your steamer with parchment paper, steaming cloth/liner.
- Transfer the dough onto a work surface and divide it into 10 equal pieces. One by one roll it out into a rectangle. Place a sausage piece at one end and cut thin vertical lines along the other. Press the edges of the cut side down (this will help with sealing the crease).
- Roll up the sausage and transfer it to a steam basket seam side down. Cover the steam basket and let the dough proof for 30-60 minutes.
- Add water to a pot and turn your stove on high. Place the steam basket on top and steam for about 10-12 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the buns sit, covered, for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Storage: You can freeze the buns once they have cooled. To reheat, just pop it back into the steam basket and repeat the steaming step.