When I was visiting my mother-in-law for Thanksgiving, she made me steamed buns with Chinese sausage. I thought it was a fun play on the hot dog buns that can be found in Chinese bakeries and I was surprised at how tasty the combo is given its simplicity!
Here is a remake! This recipe is a milk-based and yeasted. I love how fluffy and peel-able it came out 🥰. If you want to make a sourdough version, you can reference this recipe for the sourdough bun: Sourdough Basic Steamed Buns (Mantou).
For more steamed bun recipes, check out these posts:
- Toasted Milk Mantou (Steamed Buns)
- Black Sesame Bao & Mantou (Steamed Bun)
- Sourdough Espresso Mantou (Steamed Bun)
- Sourdough Basic Steamed Buns (Mantou)
Chinese Sausage Steamed Bun
- 150 g milk or water
- 30 g sugar
- 3/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 15 g neutral oil
- 250 g all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 Chinese Sausages cut in half
- Heat up milk in a microwave for 30s. It should be hot but not unbearable to the touch. Dissolve sugar and oil and sprinkle yeast on top. Let rest for 5 minutes or until foamy.
- Combine together flour and baking powder. Mix flour mixture into the yeast mixture and knead until a smooth and elastic dough forms. Let rest for 1 hour.
- Prepare your steamer with parchment paper, steaming cloth/liner.
- Transfer the dough onto a work surface and divide it into 8 equal pieces. One by one roll it out into a rectangle. Place a sausage piece at one end and it it half way. Then, cut thin vertical lines along the rest of the dough. Press the edges of the dough down (this will help with sealing the crease).
- Finish rolling the bun and transfer it seam side down into the steamed basket. Cover the steam basket and let the dough prove for 30-60 minutes.
- Add water to a pot and turn your stove on high. Place the steam basket on top and steam for about 10-12 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the buns sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Storage: You can freeze the buns once they have cooled. To reheat, just pop it back into the steam basket and repeat the steaming step.