Getting playful with pizza toppings for lunch and honestly, this Japanese-style curry pizza is a 💯 YES in my book!
I’m a BIG fan of S&B Golden Curry blocks. I will always keep several packs on hand in the pantry for those days when I want to make a quick easy meal or am simply feeling Japanese-style curry.
If you have not tried them before, the S&B Golden Curries look like this and you can find them in most Asian grocery stores.
You can also find them on Amazon:
In my opinion, the best flavor is the Hot! Both the Medium Hot and the Mild taste very mild.
They come in solid blocks (which are the ones I linked) as well as liquid sauce packets. I recommend getting the blocks since they are more shelf-stable and give you better flexibility on portioning.
Make the Pizza Dough: To make this pizza, you need to first make the pizza dough. My favorite pizza doughs require a couple of days of slow fermentation, but they come out chewy and flavorful– much better than pizza doughs made in just a couple of hours. Linked below is the yeasted and sourdough versions of my favorite pizza dough. For this small batch recipe, which makes a 10″ pie, you will need to half the recipe.
Cook the Shrimp: The first step in making the toppings is to par-cook raw shrimp in a skillet with salt and pepper. We want to par-cook the shrimp now because it is going to continue cooking in the oven. If we cook the shrimp through, it will become too rubbery. I made this pizza with shrimp, but you can use any protein of your choice here.
Make the Curry Sauce: In the same skillet used for the shrimp, saute the veggies that go in the curry sauce in some oil. Once they have softened, add water and the S&B Golden Curry block. Dissolve the curry sauce and continue to cook until the curry has a gravy-like consistency. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
Assemble the Pizza: Dust the pizza dough in cornmeal and flour and shape the pizza into a 10″ pie. Layer the pizza with the curry sauce, then top it with the shrimp and shredded mozzarella.
Elevating the Dish, the very optional Extra
If you *really* want to take the pizza to the next level, I would consider using lacto-fermented carrots and serranos and cooking them into the curry (in place of fresh carrots and serranos). The fermentation process adds amazing flavor and brightness to the veggies which truly makes the curry sauce shine. This process, of course, needs to be done way in advance (it takes about 1-2 weeks for the carrots and peppers to reach the desired flavor), so making this recipe this way is definitely a commitment, but a yummy commitment! You can find the recipe here: Easy Lacto-fermented Carrots & Serranos
S&B Golden Curry Shrimp Pizza
- 6 raw shrimp de-veined and de-shelled
- 1 tbso olive oil
- 1/4 cup onions diced
- 2 tbsp carrots minced
- 1 tbsp serrano peppers minced, or jalapeno, optional
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 S&B Golden Curry Block
- 1/4 cup mozzarella shredded
- corn meal
- all-purpose or bread flour
- Make the pizza dough in advance and have it ready.
- Parcook the shrimp with salt and pepper (don’t cook it all the way! It will cook more in the oven)
- Saute garlic, onion, carrots, and serrano peppers (I used lacto-fermented carrots and serranos for that extra flavor, see "The very optional Extra" section above) in oil and then add 1 cup water and 1 S&B Golden Curry block and red pepper flakes. Cook on medium heat until the mixture is the consistency of gravy (it will continue to solidify as it cools down). Cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 500F with a pizza stone on the top third rack.
- Top your sourdough pizza dough with the curry sauce, shrimp, and mozzarella.
- Bake on the pizza stone until the tops are nice and golden. Let the pizza cool for 5 min before cutting into it so the curry sauce isn’t too runny & Enjoy!