These white cheddar and onion stuffed sourdough bialys are light, chewy, simple, and flavorful. It uses the 2 day slow, cold fermentation method used in my Sourdough Neapolitan Pizza Dough recipe to develop flavor and get that quintessential Neapolitan-style chew. It makes a wonderful breakfast, quick lunch or side item. It’s also convenient grab-and-go item since it is mess free and does not require temperature control.
If you do not have an active sourdough starter available to you, you can also make a yeasted version using this Neapolitan Pizza Dough, which also uses the 2 day slow cold fermentation process.
Looking for more sourdough flatbread recipes? Check these post out!
- Sourdough Caramelized Onion Sesame Flatbread (Zhima Dabing)
- Easy Overnight Sourdough Focaccia
- Rustic Overnight Sourdough Bread Rolls
- Easy Overnight Sourdough Sandwich Bread
- Overnight Sourdough Cream Cheese Stuffed Bagel Bites
Sourdough Cheddar & Onion Stuffed Bialys
- baking stone or steel
- Pizza Peel recommended
- 60 g sourdough starter
- 180 g water
- 5 g salt
- 250 g all purpose or bread flour
- 1/4 onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white cheddar cut into small cubes
- salt & pepper for topping
- corn meal and extra flour for dusting
- Mix sourdough starter, water and salt together until well combined. Add flour and mix until a wet dough forms. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- For the next two hours, perform about 4 stretch and folds every 30 minutes for a total of 4 sets. After the last fold, cover and let it ferment in the fridge for 2 days for the flavor to develop or up to 4 days. The longer it ferments, the more sour the dough will be.
- 2-3 hours before baking, remove the dough from the fridge and divide it into 6 even pieces. Shape the pieces into balls, cover and let it come to room temperature on the countertop.
- Prepare your toppings: Slice your onion thinly and cut your cheddar into small cubes and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 500F with a baking stone or steel inside to preheat.
- Dust your pizza peel with an equal mix of four and cornmeal. Take one dough ball and flatten it on the pizza peel until it is about 1/2" thick. Make a well in the center and generously top your dough with the cubed cheddar and sliced onions. Crack some fresh pepper and salt on top. Using the pizza peel, transfer the dough on the preheated baking stone/steel in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until the crust is browned and slightly charred. While it cooks, repeat the process with the rest of the dough balls.
- The bialys is done when it has puffed and has turn golden. Let cool and enjoy!