I love overnight recipes because they work so well for sourdough and are so simple and low-stress. This 66% hydration Overnight Sourdough Sandwich Bread is vegan, rustic, and mildly tangy. It calls for mixing and kneading the ingredients the night below and letting it go through a long slow overnight proof. In the morning, the dough is shaped and then let to proof for a couple of hours before it is ready for baking. It works great for making hefty sandwiches like pastrami and is perfect for toasting.
Looking for more overnight sourdough recipes? Check these out:
Easy Overnight Sourdough Sandwich Bread
- loaf pan
- 60 g active sourdough starter
- 305 g water
- 470 g all purpose flour or bread flour
- 25 g olive oil
- 10 g salt
- 30 g honey or sugar
- filling of choice optional
- Combine all the dough ingredients together and knead until a smooth dough forms. Cover and let rise overnight in a cool place (70-75F) for 8-10 hours.
- Rolled out the dough into a long rectangle. Sprinkle on fillings (optional) and roll the dough up. Pinch the ends closed and tuck it to the bottom.
- Transfer dough to a parchment lined or lightly greased loaf pan, seam side down. Let the dough rest and rise for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375F and bake the loaf for about 35 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let cool slightly in the loaf pan before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Optional: To get a glossy sheen on the crust, you can brush the crust with melted butter right after removing it from the oven.