Muah Chee aka Peanut Mochi is one of the defining sweets of my childhood! My mom would make them often, especially during the holidays, like during Lunar New Year. As a child, I absolutely adored them. They are nutty, sweet, and chewy.
Muah Chee is super simple to make: it only requires 3 ingredients (glutinous rice flour, sugar, and peanuts), it is quick and fast to make since it is made on the stove-top, and it is vegan, oil-free, and gluten-free! My family makes them by boiling the mochi dough, but you can easily use the microwave method as well. Check out my Quick & Easy Microwave Mochi recipe for instructions on that method. In this blog post, I will be outlining the boiling technique that my family uses.
Looking for more mochi recipes? Check these out:
- Quick & Easy Microwave Honey Sesame Mochi
- Warabimochi with Tapioca Flour
- Nian Gao (Chinese New Year Rice Cake)
Muah Chee aka Peanut Mochi
- 100 g glutinous rice flour
- 90 g water
- 1 tsp white sugar
- pinch salt optional
- peanuts, finely ground or peanut powder
- white sugar
- Make the peanut coating: combine finely crushed peanuts or peanut powder with white sugar to your desired sweetness level. Set aside.
- Mix together all the mochi dough ingredients. The dough may look a bit crumbly. Use your hands to gather the dough into a ball and knead. The dough should come together into a smooth, non-sticky consistency. If the dough is too dry or loose, add more glutinous rice flour or water in very small increments at a time.
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Prepare a plate with plastic wrap. Tear a bit of dough and shape it to bite-sized balls and put it on the plate. Repeat till all the mochi balls has been shaped.
- Using a chopstick, pick up each mochi ball and gently lower it into the boiling water. The mochi balls are done when it floats.
- Strain the mochi and transfer it to a plate to cool, about 3 minutes. Try to avoid the mochi balls from touching too much since when they start cooling and drying, they start to stick.
- Once cooled, take one mochi ball at a time with a chopstick and roll it in the peanut coating mixture. Transfer to a serving bowl and repeat with the rest of the mochi balls. Enjoy immediately.